Monday, October 03, 2011

discovering...day 3


If you've been visiting my blog for a while
you may recognize some of these photos,
I am going through my collection (7000+)
and picking out the ones that best help me to explain
my newly discovered trait.
I'm a...
"Highly Sensitive Person."
These first 2 photos are of the last 2 big concerts
I attended.
Lots of people, bright flashing lights and very loud music.
I love a good concert.
I laugh and clap and scream and cry.
It really gets me excited...


I am very picky about who I see.
I would never put myself in this position
for just anyone.
The music has to move me.
I have to have an emotional connection to the music...
and the performer.
It all has to be worth the trouble.
Once the "high" or "arousal" has ended
I need to re-boot,
time to recover from the over stimulation.
It usually leaves me tired and
needing time alone.


HSP respond STRONGLY to external stimuli
and become exhausted from
"taking in" and processing.
If I find myself in a situation
where I am feeling overstimulated and I am not
feeling anything other than uncomfortable
(nothing positive is coming out of the experience),
I can expect to have symptoms like
blushing, heart palpitations
and a feverish feeling.
My muscles tighten
and I feel anxious.


I try to stay away from these situations.
Also avoiding fluorescent lights,
chemical odors
and certain kind of people.
I've been doing this for years...
and all the while thinking that
I had some sort of problem.
Like I was strange.
Like I had some sort of "mental" condition.


My brain just works differently than 80%
of the population.
It has always seemed like a sign that I was weak.


But I'm not.
I am sensitive.
This world needs people like me.
(and you?)


I think a lot of my blogging friends
are "getting it"...
We are creative and we think alike.
xox
Tomorrow I'll share a bit about toxic relationships...

1 comment:

Shauna and MacLean said...

Wow I am moved and thinking of each and every word u write!