Last night I went to bed early, eager to just get really warm and cozy. It was one of those weird weather days. Started mild and rainy, which ='s slush. The power went out. Then it dropped in temperature and the snow started. Gusty winds pounded the house. (the power was back on by then) Bed was a good place to be. I have been reading "Marley and Me" and last night I was nearing the end of the book. Marley was a difficult dog. It was just the right book at just the right time. I am looking at my own old dog in a very different light now. While the two dogs had many similar quirks, I can say that Teddy has done very little damage over his 13 years with us. But don't get me wrong, he has been challenging to say the least. There are days when he has driven me crazy. He is not a normal dog. He is not a smart dog. Teddy is nervous and untrustworthy. Given a chance to bolt out of the yard...he will just run until he becomes lost. He eats garbage. He is a great howler. Teddy has no short term memory. Never has. Now he is deaf. These days I am reminding him to "stay" every few minutes in my "outside voice". His happiness and feeling secure is only achieved when he is somehow attached to me. Usually a wet and stinky muzzle on my foot. His teeth are bad (I blame myself) and now he can clear the room with the stench. When he passes gas he actually makes this little wind sound (which he doesn't hear anymore) then he smells it and moves to another spot in the room to get away from it. Anyway......the book has been good medicine. A little reminder. If Teddy could talk he would say, "love you, love you, love you, love you......" because he does. And that is all he thinks about when he's not in the same room as food. He is old and he sleeps most of the time. I am going to fluff up his bed and get him something special for Christmas. I will take a nice portrait of him. I love him too. I am not looking forward to the last chapters...
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
teddy and me...day 16
Last night I went to bed early, eager to just get really warm and cozy. It was one of those weird weather days. Started mild and rainy, which ='s slush. The power went out. Then it dropped in temperature and the snow started. Gusty winds pounded the house. (the power was back on by then) Bed was a good place to be. I have been reading "Marley and Me" and last night I was nearing the end of the book. Marley was a difficult dog. It was just the right book at just the right time. I am looking at my own old dog in a very different light now. While the two dogs had many similar quirks, I can say that Teddy has done very little damage over his 13 years with us. But don't get me wrong, he has been challenging to say the least. There are days when he has driven me crazy. He is not a normal dog. He is not a smart dog. Teddy is nervous and untrustworthy. Given a chance to bolt out of the yard...he will just run until he becomes lost. He eats garbage. He is a great howler. Teddy has no short term memory. Never has. Now he is deaf. These days I am reminding him to "stay" every few minutes in my "outside voice". His happiness and feeling secure is only achieved when he is somehow attached to me. Usually a wet and stinky muzzle on my foot. His teeth are bad (I blame myself) and now he can clear the room with the stench. When he passes gas he actually makes this little wind sound (which he doesn't hear anymore) then he smells it and moves to another spot in the room to get away from it. Anyway......the book has been good medicine. A little reminder. If Teddy could talk he would say, "love you, love you, love you, love you......" because he does. And that is all he thinks about when he's not in the same room as food. He is old and he sleeps most of the time. I am going to fluff up his bed and get him something special for Christmas. I will take a nice portrait of him. I love him too. I am not looking forward to the last chapters...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment