Wednesday, April 03, 2013

she made it special...just for me.


mom made me a quilt
for my 21st birthday.

she had collected fabric from my life.
1969 nursery...


when i was 16
a sweet american boy

invited me to his prom in delaware.
i flew from thunder bay to toronto to philadelphia
and had a fairytale of a time.
 we bought this dress for that trip
and wore it to a dinner...(not the prom)
thanks for a great memory chris...


mom was a very thoughtful, crafty lady...
always busy making something for someone.
if i remember right,
this fabric had been used to make
an apron or oven mitts...
most likely a gift to give.


1986ish...
my little brother went through his preppy stage.
button down shirt.
look familiar greg?


grade 13 graduation.
there was a lot of floral going on.
i can vividly recall finding this fabric
and knowing that no one else would have it.
my grandma made my dress...
i loved that dress.


this fabric is kind of classic mom.
i think it was a sundress of hers.
she really enjoyed her calico...


...one of dad's shirts...
his work shirts were white,
but this was clearly chosen to add
a pop of colour.
(i think she actually said that)


...a bedspread she made me...
late 70's.
i loved holly hobby.


i can't tell you what this quilt means to me now...
each square makes me smile.
i remember.
thanks mom....

for making so many of my days special.

7 comments:

Melinda said...

Such fond memories you have.
I'm impressed that you remember where
some of the fabrics come from!

M :)

Elizabeth said...

That is beyond adorable Leanne! Thanks for letting us take a peek at it :)

lisaroy said...

What a wonderful, thoughtful gift! I would love a quilt like that with so many beautiful memories! xo

koralee said...

This is so special! I made a crazy quilt with my grandma when I was in grade 8 filled with all my old dresses from my childhood...I worn that quilt out. Such special memories. xo

Shauna and MacLean said...

I could feel the love all the way down here, what a special gift thanks for sharing!

lisaroy said...

just a note to say I'm thinking about you over there with all that flooding! hope you're staying dry xo

Anonymous said...

Wow!... How very special -- lucky you!!